Statement of Purpose
The Township Officials of Illinois (the “Association”) currently utilizes Facebook as a social media platform and may utilize other Social Media Accounts in the future. Using this technology, the Association has additional avenues by which to share news releases, inform the public about initiatives and highlight events and positive media coverage. Additionally, social media provides the ability to share other information that supports the goals and mission of the Association. Social media also provides a two-way means by which the Association may interact with residents, visitors, media, local business owners and people who work in township government.
Guidelines and Expectations
“Association” shall mean the Township Officials of Illinois.
“Social Media Account” shall mean any of the Association’s online accounts or services that allow for interaction with Association members and other stakeholders, including, but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram when used but shall not electronic mail (email) or the Association’s website.
A. LIMITED USE
B. The Association does not make its Social Media Accounts available for general public discourse, but rather reserves and limits the topics that may be discussed on the Social Media Accounts.
C. CONTENT RESTRICTIONS
The Association reserves the right to reject or remove, if possible, any content that is deemed in violation of this policy or any applicable law. Content and comments appearing on or posted to the Association’s Social Media Accounts that contain any of the following forms of content are prohibited and shall be subject to removal in the sole discretion of the Association:
1. Comments unrelated to the purpose and topical scope of the page.
2. Defamatory, threatening, or profane language.
3. Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
4. Sexual content or links to sexual content.
5. Solicitations of commerce.
6. Personally identifiable information, such as an address, phone number, social security number, or other sensitive information.
7. Information which may interfere with or compromise current investigations, police tactics, and the safety or security of public safety staff and/or the public or public systems.
8. Promotion or advertisement in favor of, or in opposition to a political campaign, ballot measure or candidate.
9. Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity.
10. Distribution of copyrighted photographs, music, video, graphics, or other content without the express permission of the copyright holder.
D. CONTENT REMOVAL
Content that is deemed prohibited for posting by the administrators of the Association’s Social Media Accounts, pursuant to the criteria contained in Section B above, shall be retained by staff in the form of a screen capture along with a description of the reason the specific content was deemed prohibited. The comment will then be removed, as technology allows, from the Association’s Social Media Account(s).
F. TIME OF USE
The Association’s Social Media Account(s) are not constantly monitored, and as such, posts and responses should not be immediately expected. Social Media Accounts are commonly monitored during normal business hours of the Association, designated as weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays, but such monitoring is subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of the Association.