Cross Park Dedication
The Roscoe Township Board held a Dedication Ceremony of the Honorable Robert J. Cross Memorial Park on October 13th, 2018. In August of 1835, Robert J. Cross arrived at the trading post of Stephen Mack, and bought a claim, part of which included the land that is currently Cross Park, spanning a total of 160+ acres in IL, with additional acreage in Southern Wisconsin.
He was one of the judges at the first Election in Winnebago County, was the first Treasurer in the County, became a Member of the State Legislature in 1845, and a representative to the General Assembly in 1846. In 1860, he was elected as Supervisor of the Town of Roscoe. He helped write the first Illinois Constitution and went on to live a life of public service.
His original home still exists on Hononegah Road, the main part being built between 1841-1843. He continually resided there until his death. In December of 2018, the Township purchased the nearly 17 acre property at just over half of the asking price. The historical home has been leased to the Roscoe Township Historical Society. They will raise the funds to rehab the home. The Township hopes to build a historical park, along with a community center on the remainder of the property.