Canteen

5500 Bunkum Rd, , Washington Park, Illinois 62204
618-875-6363 | |

About Canteen Township

Canteen Township is located in St. Clair County, IL.  It was formed on March 5, 1910 from

Centerville Station Township, when it was subdivided.

 
       
                 
According to the 2010 census, the Township has a total area of 17.37 Square miles,  
of which 98% is land, and the remaining 2% is water.  Its population as of 2014 was  
9893, down from 10263 in the 2010 census.  It is one of twenty-two townships   
that make up St. Clair County.  Canteen Township includes parts of the towns of  
Caseyville, Fairmont City, Fairview Heights, Madison, St. Clair Farms, State Park  
 and Washington Park, as well as several unincorporated areas, and the East Side  
Health District Branch.            
                 
Canteen Township is home to a large portion of Cahokia Mounds State Park, and is near 
Rattlesnake Mound, Spring Lake, and Bullfrog Station School (an historic landmark).  
                 
I-64, I-255, and Metro-link light rail all run through Canteen township, making it easy to  
navigate the area. Metro-link has a station in Washington Park at 987 North Kingshighway,
and several stations in East St. Louis, including Jackie Joiner Kersee Station at 1003  
North 25th Street.  Fairview Heights has one station.  Metro-link runs from Scott Air Force  
Base to Lambert St. Louis International Airport, with stops along the way at SWIC, down-  
town St. Louis (St. Louis Cardinals, St. Louis Blues, Ballpark Village, Blues (Music)   
Museum, etc.), Forest Park (Zoo, Art Museum, History Museum, etc.), U-City Loop, UMSL
Campus.