Drury Township

26003 124th Ave West, , Illinois City, Illinois 61259
309.791.0627 | |

Highway Department


When spring comes, soft roads start to arrive.  Help the Road Commissioner if possible by trying to keep heavy trucks off the roads (especially the seal coat) until the roads are more firm.  Seal coat roads have become very expensive (see highway department).  If possible have the trash picked up at the end of roads, haul corn when the road is solid, etc.

Highway Department

 The right-of-way is defined by state statutes as "the land or interest therein, acquired for or devoted to a highway."  What this means is that the highway authority has the sole responsibility to determine what gets built within this designated area. 

Right-of-way consists of privately owned property that is designated for right-of-way purposes, which is often called a dedication of right-of-way.  In this situation, the land owner does legally own the property but basically transfers over the property to the highway authority for as long as it remains a public road.  The highway authority then determines what can and cannot be done within this area. 

If the land within the right-of-way has been given to the highway authority by quick claim deed or similar fashion, then the public body is, in fact, the land owner for that property. 

Regardless of the type of right-of-way that exists for a given road, the highway authority must approve of any work performed within the right-of-way.  Nothing should be installed, placed or built within the right-of-way without the prior approval of the appropriate highway authority.  For road district (township) roads the Highway Commissioner must give approval.  For County roads, the County Engineer gives the approval and for State roads the Department of Transportation gives the approval.  It is very important to contact the appropriate authorities before a person installs anything within the right-of-way.  It is illegal to place anything on the right-of-way without approval from the appropriate authority.  Entrance culverts, mailboxes, signs, fences, etc. can all impose obstacles that could make it difficult for the highway authority to perform services associated with the maintenance of roads.

If you don't know exactly where the right-of-way line is, contact the appropriate highway authority. The right-of-way on state and county roads are usually well-documented, but township roads often times are not.  However, the individual Township Road Commissioners can usually tell you where it is.

Before doing anything within the right-of-way, please contact the appropriate highway authority.  For Drury Township, that is John Weigel - 309.791-1003.

John Wiegel is the road Commissioner. You can get his contact information through the Officials page. We will try to keep this page updated with road closings and other construction issues.

Seal Coat Information

Contact John Wiegel, 309.791.1003, if you are interested in having any portion of the road seal coated.  The costs listed below:

  • Single coat of seal coat with no preparation = $16,400 / mile
  • New seal coat with preparation (2 coats, primer and extra rock) = $56,000 / mile ($10.58 / ft)

Due to the increase in price for this service, the township will not be able to pay and provide as much coverage as in the past.