Rutland Township Hall is located at
2835 E. 24th Rd. in Marseilles, Illinois
Our mailing address is
P.O. Box 66
Marseilles, Illinois 61341
By appointment only
Telephone: 815.795.2725 Fax: 815.795.2924
The History of Rutland Township, LaSalle County, Illinois
In LaSalle County, Rutland Township was one of the first areas of the county to attract settlers. A former historian in 1886 stated it this way: “Its (Rutland Township) location is an enviable one, having the grand rapids of the Illinois River on the south, the Village of Marseilles in the southeast corner, and Ottawa near the southwest. The Fox River, in the north and west, with its vast water-power resources, makes for Rutland a situation of unsurpassed for manufacturing interests.”
When the Township was organized on April 2, 1850 it was labeled Trenton. After a few years, the name was switched to “Rutland Township” in honor of the vast holdings of rich Rutland silty loam soil found in the area containing very little slope and good for farming. For years, Rutland Township held the distinction of purveying these indigenous soils as one would distribute valuables.
In 1850, the first corps of officials holding office was as follows:
Supervisor-----A. D. Butterfield
Clerk-------------J. R. Shaver
Highway Commissioners---E. S. Hallowell, O. Olmstead, John Nichol
Justices of the Peace—John Gibson, J. Smith
Constables----J. M. Trenery, C. Shaver
The population of Rutland Township in 1910 (including a part of the Village of Marseilles) was 2,308, and the 1920 census recorded the population as 1,842. The 2016 population is: 3,527.
Finally, of the citizens of Rutland Township, 61% are urban and 39% are rural. The estimated household income in 1999 was $32,658; and in 2009, the household income rose to $43,151.